Monday, December 23, 2013

On the Second Day of Christmas

Christmas Craft Countdown- 2 days


For today's countdown to Christmas, I will be showing you how to paint some cute reindeer onto canvas.  I found this craft on Pinterest, then decided to create my own two versions.  They look super cute as holiday decor in your home or to give as a gift to friends and family! I hope you like them!


Supplies you will need:
  • Canvas in the size you prefer (I used 8 x 10)
  • Silver, Red, Green and Black Sharpie Markers
  • Puffy paint in silver, red and gold
  • Gold and Silver Glitter
  • Modpodge (or a watered down Elmer's glue will work)
  • Paint brush
  • Pencil

Silver Reindeer


First, I'll show you how to create the silver reindeer pictured on the left.

Google search "reindeer silhouette clipart" and you will get hundreds of different deer to choose from.  Then sketch out your silhouette onto your canvas.  If you are not a confident artist, don't fret, you could always print out the deer and trace it onto the canvas!


Then trace your pencil lines with a silver sharpie (or whatever color you choose to color the silhouette.) And write your "Merry Christmas" greeting at the bottom with a red sharpie.



Using a paintbrush and Modpodge (or a watered down Elmers glue) paint the glue onto the deer and sprinkle your glitter on top.  The paintbrush will give you more control, especially as you put glue onto the antlers!


I wanted to add some dimension to my canvas, so I traced around the border with silver puffy paint and traced the words with red puffy paint.




Once it has completely dried, add another coat of Modpodge on top of the glitter.  This will seal in the glitter to prevent it from falling off everytime you move or touch the canvas.  It also adds a shiny finish!


Ta-dah!  Your reindeer silhouette is complete!  Experiment with different silhouettes, different colors of glitter and different sized canvas boards!  These make beautiful gifts and decor for your home. 

Gold Reindeer

Now, here is how I made the gold reindeer pictured on the right.

Again, I looked up "reindeer silhouette clipart" using Google to find the one I wanted to use.  I sketched it out with pencil first (of course you may print it out and trace it if you don't want to freehand it.)


Then trace your lines with a gold sharpie marker.  (I used black, and found it hard to cover up with the glitter, so I suggest matching the marker color to the glitter color.)


Paint the Modpodge onto the silhouette and sprinkle on your gold glitter!


For a special touch, I made my reindeer Rudolph and gave him a red nose (but this is optional!)


Paint the Modpodge over the glitter to seal it in and prevent it from falling off.



For added dimension, I traced around the border with gold puffy paint.


 (wet paint)

(dry paint)

And you are finished!  Just add a cute ribbon to gift to your friend!



I really hope you enjoyed these as much as I did!  Don't forget to check back tomorrow as I post the final Christmas Craft Countdown!

Artistically Yours,
Brianna




1 comment: